At Brentwood we aspire to become a professional learning community where everyone strives to learn continually from and with each other. This is underpinned by two key principles. Our first and most important principle is that we really value our teachers and so we invest heavily in them. Teachers can expect industry-leading professional support:
- All teachers undergo a thorough induction programme and are assigned both a mentor and a buddy
- We invest in unqualified teachers so that they can complete their initial teacher training and achieve related professional qualifications
- Our newly qualified teachers join our mentoring and coaching programme
- Experienced teachers are encouraged to explore their pedagogy by going on external courses, through undertaking further professional qualifications such as MEds and EdDs or carrying out supported action research projects
- Teachers with leadership ambitions can join our leadership academy
- For all of our teachers we run twilight and lunchtime training sessions covering a wide variety of educational topics.
Our second principle is embodied in our professional development programme which we call TRADE: teacher-led research and development education.
- We focus on the exchange of expertise and best practice between teachers from within and beyond Brentwood
- The programme is owned and run by teachers. Training sessions are selected, designed and delivered by teachers for teachers
- Our pedagogy is based on action research undertaken by educationalists in and beyond Brentwood
- We strive to provide a wide range of tailored, relevant development opportunities that genuinely enhance educational knowledge, understanding and skills
If you have any questions on professional learning at Brentwood please contact Jonathan Cohen, our Deputy Head in charge of Staff Development.
Click here to view a a video about what it's like to teach at Brentwood School