It is one of the greatest ironies of our generation that whilst we are increasingly connected to one another through technology – internet, facebook, twitter – we seem to be less able or willing to form community. We text, but how often do we talk? Loneliness is believed, by some commentators, to be on the increase with meaningful, face-to-face conversations diminishing.
The Bible charts the relationship between God and His people and there is much within this grand narrative about community living and how we might relate to one another. Indeed, this short phrase, ‘one another’ is found in many places within scripture. This term we shall examine some such phrases and explore how they might shape our thinking today.
- Be hospitable to one another 1 Peter 4. 7-11
- Build up one another 1 Thessalonians 5. 1-11
- Wait for one another 1 Corinthians 11. 33-34
- Be servants of one another Gataltians 5. 13-15
- Put up with one another Ephesians 4.1-6
- Bear one another's burdens Galatians 6. 1-10
- Forgive one another Colossians 3. 12-17
- Live in harmony with on another Romans 12. 9-21
Photo by Rémi Walle on Unsplash